What is E Rickshaw?
E rickshaws are battery operated electric vehicles, tricycles which are considered to be an upgraded version of cycle and auto rickshaws. They are however less powerful than an auto rickshaw but very environment friendly and cheaper to run then them, so are replacing auto rickshaws, they have been promoted by most environmentalists due to low emission and high efficiency of energy use, electric battery operated vehicles cause almost no pollution and are afer greener to the environment, even the cost of running an e rickshaw is much lower than any other means of transport commercially available, the cost per one charge is about 20RS. in India which lasts upto 80 to 100Km.
How they work?
An electric rickshaw works on a standard lead acid battery, they run on a motor of power 650-1250W, however it is said that new regulations will allow the power to be no more than 650W in India, they are however already running in Bangladesh, Pakistan and many other Asian countries, where most of them come from China, the low cost also means lack of quality and improper designing for Indian streets, Indian manufacturers havebuild some newerbetter versions of e rickshaws in various other forms, one of the best known fiberglass material body is developed by Indian manufacturers, the rickshaw provides a high quality performance and fiberglass prevents any kind of rust or damage, it is much stronger and lighter than equivalent metal bodies.
E rickshaws are based on leaf spring suspension, work on a 48V power supply controlled by a controller using MOSFET technology, the commonly sold ones are 18 and 24 Mosfet controllers, and 850W motor in India, in Bangladesh however 60V power system is also used.
India is slowly adopting Indian made rickshaws as it gives them them benefit of service, warranty and high quality, however the cost is not reduced as manufacturing and quality costs are almost equivalent to costs in China+Import freight and duty, but looking at quality benefits, the Indian vehicles are preferred as quality and design are much more compelling.
In India, the government rules have lead to controversies in plying of e rickshaws, there are several bans over time, and even after ban in the capital, there are said to be 0.2Million rickshaws running in Delhi, which have lead the government toform new rules, but due to theinfluence of auto rickshaw manufacturers and other unwilling non-supporters there has been some issues, you can easily find about these issues on Google, e rickshaws have been in the Headlines since June 2014 and the rules are being framed for the same.
E Rickshaw benefits
- Electric and battery operated instead of other fuel
- Less noise, air pollution
- Rickshaws in fiberglass are safer and stronger, lasts longer
- Very little maintenance
- Highly cost efficient
- 25km/h maximum speed(very safe)
- Provides livelihood to drivers
- Can carry more passengers without effecting pollution levels
- Cheaper than auto rickshaws
- Less rules due to safe and pollution free vehicle technology
- High grade fiber strength and low weight makes it safer
- Government in some cities provide subsidies and tax benefits to promote them
Some Disadvantages of e rickshaws
- Battery used for 80-100km/charge
- Regulations not clear in a few countries(India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka Etc.)
- Drop in sales for auto rickshaws and cycle rickshaws
- Low quality cheap imported rickshaws will not last long
- Very high number of e rickshaws are gathered on the street